CokodoK's WebLog

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Future of the Web

Heya everyone! Been pretty busy up until last week as I'm heading towards the end of my semester. And what's been taking up my time lately? Well, it's my final year individual dissertation. Progress has been bumpy so far so I hope things will flow smoothly as I head towards the end of my dissertation which is at May 1st.

So here is where I bore you with tid-bits about this dissertation of mine. Titled, "Semantic Web Browser", this project will define the future of the Web .......................... Ok, maybe not that dramatic but it's still a cool project :P.

Semantic what?

Semantic Web. Sorry, probably I should first give an overview of the whole picture. So let's see the shortcomings of the current Internet:

Today's Internet suffers from the problem where computers are not able to understand or process on the information displayed on the webpage. Yup, computers are only able to display the information displayed in a webpage - they don't understand a thing which is written on it.

So the "Semantic Web" bit is basically to allow computers to COMPREHEND what is on the Internet. This basically lets computers speak to computers

So computers can speak to computers. Big deal ......

What? Of course it's a big deal let's see if I can paint a better picture. Imagine this scenario:

You want to book a doctor's appointment. All you need to do is tell your computer, "I want to make a doctor's appointment", and here's what your computer will do:
  • Contact your insurance company's computer to get a list of available panels

  • Filter these panels according to how close they are from your home

  • Further filter these panels by obtaining information from the Internet regarding the status of these panels (how good are their service?, are they reliable?, any problems with these panels?, etc.)

  • Contact the doctor's computer to check if you are able to book an appointment(your computer will check against your own schedule)

  • Lastly your computer will present the information of doctors which are within your vicinity you are able to book an appointment with

Wow!!! So this is what your doing?

NOoooo, of course not. If I did, that would be so amazing. What I'm doing is using concepts of the Semantic Web, to improve the information management when using a web browser.

So ,are you gonna tell about your project now?

Well, maybe some other time k. I've probably bore you enough for today :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home